Feminism?

February 14, 2017


  1. Image result for feminist

The other day, I was talking to one of my friends about feminism. I can't really remember how the subject came about in our conversation, but i recall saying that I'm a feminist and I'm all in for gender equality. My friend told me that I had the definition wrong, and that a feminist is someone who believes that women deserve more rights than men should. ("I also read on a Facebook Post that feminists are "delusional, disgusting, hypocritical man-haters")

Feminism - The word that pops up on our Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and Tumblr feeds every now and then. But in all honesty, I doubt many of us truly understand what the terms 'feminism' and 'feminist' actually mean. It's astonishing how such a word is frequently used and looked down upon, yet most of us don't understand what it really is.

'Feminism' has been considered an unethical word in society for a while now. Many people don't even want to be identified as a feminist due to the way others perceive it; They say they are all in favour of women's rights, but wouldn't call it by that name. However feminism is really the genuine act of putting the needs of anyone and everyone into consideration, not the act of overthrowing the patriarchy. Feminism has not fought any wars, nor killed any opponents. Feminism hasn't set up any concentration camps, nor practised any cruelties. It has fought for the political vote, for equal pay for equal work, for social welfare, for education, for women's refuges, for changes in the law.


Feminists, who actually understand its meaning, are working towards equality with men. This includes not being discriminated against in any way. Not every single feminist grows out their body hair, refuses to wear bras, doesn't wear makeup etc. (although these choices are completely fine) If a woman decides to make these choices, that is completely her own choice. The same applies to a woman who wears high-heels and red lipstick - It's her body and she can choose what she wants to do with it. This contributes to their sexual freedom. There's no need for women having to face prude or slut-shaming comments.

You don't have to be female to be a feminist. However, it can be difficult for society to be as sincere to a feminist man as to how they are to a feminist woman. There are no flaws in standing up for what you believe is right, therefore who are they to judge?

"You can be a business woman, a mother, an artist and a feminist - whatever you want to be - and still remain a sexual being. I guess I am a modern-day feminist. I do believe in equality. I'm just a woman and I love being a woman. At the same time I'm happily married and I love my husband." - BEYONCÉ



Image result for feminist tumblr





















You Might Also Like

0 comments